Mental Health is amazing.
When are we going to start celebrating it, not just keep trying to 'fix' it?
Why are humans the dominant species on the planet?
Strongest? ❌ Fastest ❌ Live longest? ❌
Yet we celebrate and aspire to physical fitness…
- Form allegiances and shared belief systems 💡
- Understand consequences 😱
- Plan for the future 👩💻
- Learn from the past 🤔
- Build lasting relationships 👬
- Think creatively and solve complex problems 👨🔬(+ opposable thumbs caveat here) 👍
Connection. Focus. Motivation. Meaning. Stress. Positivity. Confidence. These skills really matter.
Every emotion we have is an evolutionary gift - it’s there for a reason. Positive and negative. We’re not supposed to be ‘relentlessly happy’: we need every emotion we have (in the right balance).
Yet we don’t celebrate and aspire to mental fitness?
We generally think mental health only matters when we’re not ok … other than that, we take these amazing gifts for granted and don’t work on maintaining them.
- We all understand the need to train for physical challenges (or we wouldn’t do very well or would injure ourselves).
- How many of us train our mental muscles before mental challenges for exactly the same reasons?
Watch Gareth's interview with the C-Suite Podcast at MAD World 2021